The time for warm days, extended lift hours, corn snow, lots of sunshine, and a spring time tan (the famous raccoon look) is already here. Are you ready to enjoy this special time of the season? We compiled a list of our favorite spring skiing hints from our expert VBSR staff (we even included Aggie), to help you get the most enjoyment out of the last few weeks of the season.
Spring Skiing Hints & Tips;
- Use PLENTY of sunblock!
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated (stop every hour or two for a free glass of water. Available throughout the mountain at the various lodges).
- In the morning, start on the groomers to get a sense of the conditions.
- Wait for the bumps and Back Bowls to soften, after an overnight freeze. The snow generally starts to soften up around noon.
- Stop by the shop and have us put a “spring structure” into your ski bases (you won’t believe the improvements in gliding & turning through the corn snow).
- Make sure you have a warm weather wax on your skis.
- Demo one of our new men’s or women’s skis that will help you charge through the spring time “mash potatoes” type snow.
- Stop by one of the many mountain picnic areas and enjoy having lunch outside!
“In the spring, corn snow has a high water content. This slows the skis down and makes them more difficult to turn. In order to move the water away from the ski base, and allow the skis to glide more efficiently, you want a deeper spring ski structure in the base, topped with a warm weather ski wax.”
-Matt Dirolf (VBSR Master Tuner)
VBSR Staff Demo Recommendations
- The Liberty Helix: At 105 under foot, the Helix is a great ski for any condition. The gradual tip rocker will help you crush through the slush!
- The Blizzard Brahma: The award winning Brahma is popular for a reason. Try it out and find out what the blizzard buzz is all about.
- The Volkl Mantra: Firm and fast, the Mantra is one of our best sellers and will perform great in the early morning hard pack and afternoon corn snow.
- The Volkl Aura: The Women’s counterpart of the Mantra, the Aura is fast, fun, and reliable!
- The Rossignol Saffron 7: Light, playful, and incredibly versatile. The Saffron 7 is a great ski for any condition.